The categories in this year’s Scotland Awards are as follows. Click on the category you wish to enter to find category-specific criteria and the appropriate application form.
Category 1 – Social Enterprise of the Year Scotland
A social enterprise that has been operating for more than 2 years that can evidence the criteria below but that has also demonstrated and promoted social enterprise beyond the sector.
- Excellent vision and strategic direction
- Clear leadership and management of the organisation
- A high degree of customer satisfaction
- A clearly evidenced social, environmental and community impact
- Show sustainability in terms of profit and growth
- Good brand awareness and communication outputs
- Evidence of creativity and innovation
Category 2 – One to Watch Award
A social enterprise that has been operating less than 2 years that can clearly demonstrate the criteria but also articulate their future vision and how they are going to achieve it showing growth in their model.
- A clear vision for the social enterprise
- A creative approach to problem-solving
- Excellence in impact, design or growth since inception
- Potential for future success, in the judges’ view
Category 3 – Social Impact Award
Designed for any social enterprise that can truly demonstrate and communicate their impact with their stakeholders. This award is not comparing the scale of different enterprises’ impact, but their measurement and reporting process.
- Clear articulation of theory of change and impact, proving the organisations mission and objectives
- Transparency in the process of findings (including stakeholder engagement)
- Includes good quantitative and qualitative evidence
- Demonstrates its impact on a specified community, be it geographic or community of interest
- Has communicated its impact in accessible and creative ways
- Includes how it will utilise evaluation to improve its work
Category 4 – ‘Buy Social’ – Market Builder Award
Any social enterprise, public sector body or private sector organisation that has demonstrably made efforts within its own organisation and remit to create more opportunities to buy from social enterprises. This could be a local authority implementing a council-wide Social Value Act strategy, a company changing its procurement processes, or a social enterprise seeking to support the movement through buying social.
- Able to articulate the steps taken to improve the buying environment for social enterprises
- Explain their key aims and objectives in trying to ‘buy social’ in their work
- Explain the technical and cultural challenges that had to be overcome and how they did that
- Articulate any progress on spend / impact to date
NB: Only organisations which are supporting social enterprises over and above their core purpose will be eligible
Category 10 – Tech for Good: Technology in Social Enterprise
This is open to social enterprises that have been operating for more than 1 year and uses technology to achieve social impact, meeting the criteria below. Either:
A) Technology is part of the social enterprise’s core business model
B) Technology has been employed in the development of new products or services to improve impact, access or effectiveness
- Excellent vision & strategic direction.
- Clear leadership & management of the organisation.
- Innovative or pioneering use of new technology / digital.
- Clear evidence of impact.
- Sustainability in terms of profit / growth.
Category 11 – Social Enterprise Champion
This award will recognise an individual working in the senior leadership team of a social enterprise.
The individual should be someone who:
- Represents excellence in their field of work.
- Inspires and empowers other social entrepreneurs to achieve.
- Demonstrates a commitment to diversity.
- Exhibits enterprising spirit and drive.
- Provides impactful vision within an organisation and/or the wider social enterprise sector.
- Displayed moral courage and vision in making and delivering tough choices.
Once you have decided on a category you can continue to the application page.